Communication at Wilson
School Year 2019-20
Communication at Wilson
• Look out for the weekly Wilson eNewsletter, sent on Sunday evenings (or holiday Mondays). The eNewsletter is emailed to the email address parents/guardians have on their student's enrollment form and in Aspen.
• Visit the Wilson website, wilsonhs.org. Our website is the most up-to-date source of news and announcements, information about upcoming events, important forms, and teacher and staff contact information.
• Join our twitter feed: @wilsonhsdcps
• Be alert for robocalls to your home that update your family about absences, school events, and policies at Wilson.
• Students: Listen to the announcements each day in the morning, before STEP, and at the end of the day to keep up with what is going on at school.
Contacting Teachers and Staff
Students: Please visit your teachers during their posted office hours.
Parents: The best way for parents to communicate with teachers and staff is to send a message through email. Email addresses for teachers, administrators, and staff members are listed in the front of the student planner and on the Wilson website, wilsonhs.org. If you prefer to communicate by phone, you may call the main office at 202.282.0120 and leave a message for a teacher or staff member.
Please allow teachers twenty-four hours to respond to your message. If you do not hear from a teacher within that time, resend the message and copy your student’s counselor, dean, and/or assistant principal. If you have not had the problem addressed within an additional twenty-four hours, please contact the counselor, dean, and/or assistant principal again.
Back-to-School Night will be on Wednesday, September 11, 2019, from 6-9 pm. This is one of the most important nights of the school year. Parents have the opportunity to meet their child’s teachers, receive a syllabus for each class, and learn how each teacher prefers to communicate. Parents are reminded that the purpose of this night is for all parents to meet teachers. If there are particular issues regarding your student’s performance in class, make an appointment to talk with the teacher directly by emailing the particular teacher and/or your student’s counselor.
Parent-Teacher Conference Days
Scheduled Parent-Teacher Conference Days take place three times during the school year. Parents and guardians are able to sign up for a conference time with the teacher(s) they wish to see, or wait to see the teacher during pre-publicized hours. This year, conferences will be held on these dates:
Friday, October 11, 2019
Friday, January 17, 2020
Friday, May 22, 2020
If a parent or guardian needs to see a teacher at a different time during the year, he or she should email the teacher to set up a phone call or in-person meeting.
Parents are invited for monthly meetings to discuss academic, behavioral, or community concerns, or to have any questions answered. Interested community members are also invited to attend. These Parent Coffees will be held in the morning before school starts, at 8:00 am, to accommodate the schedules of all interested attendees. The meetings are scheduled to last for one hour and will start with a brief (10-15 minute) discussion of things happening in and around Wilson, then the floor will be open for parents to discuss items of interest.
“Tiger Teas” and other informational events for students and parents are scheduled throughout the year. These events will be announced in the Wilson eNewsletter.