Policies & Procedures
Although Wilson does not require school uniforms, students are expected to dress appropriately for an academic setting.
• Shoes must be worn at all times.
• Clothing displaying logos or advertisements must be free of profanity, drugs, alcohol or tobacco products; violent messages; sexual messages; gang symbols or references; or language that demeans an identifiable person or group.
• Undergarments must not be visible when walking, sitting or standing.
• Jewelry cannot be worn that is perceived as dangerous, violent or promoting inappropriate themes. Heavy chains, bracelets, and necklaces that have spikes are not permitted.
Hats and Headgear
• Wearing hats and headgear in the school is considered a safety issue.
• No midriff shirts, muscle shirts, blouses, or tops that allow skin to be exposed either on the upper torso or the back are permitted.
• Tops with spaghetti straps, tube tops, halter tops, muscle shirts, and colored or white tank tops must be worn as undergarments only. A sweater, shirt, or jacket must be worn over such items.
• No tank tops, low-cut necklines, off-the-shoulder shirts, strapless, or body-tight spandex tops may be worn alone. Shirts must cover the shoulders, back, front, and midriff area.
• Transparent or see-through clothing is not allowed.
• Pants may not be worn low so that they show undergarments or skin or look as if they are about to fall off. Pants must be secure at the waist.
• If distressed or torn pants are worn, the person wearing them must have tights under them so as not to expose the skin.
Shorts, skirts, and dresses
• Shorts, skirts, and dresses must be appropriate, neither too short nor too revealing.
• Slits in shorts, skirts, and dresses must not extend higher than mid-thigh.
Policy for Violations of the Dress Guidelines
If a student is dressed in a way that is deemed by staff to be inappropriate, the student will be:
• Stopped at the front door and given the option to change his/her clothes.
• Given the option of calling his/her parent for a change of clothes to be brought to the school.
• Given appropriate clothing to wear for the day
The parent/guardian of any student refusing to follow the dress code policy will be called, and appropriate sanctions will occur, including and not limited to detention.